GCC incompatibility

Hi all,

In RedHat 8.0, drivers compiled with an old library, old meaning compiled
under RedHat earlier releases, failed to load with the following message:
"xx.o: The module you are trying to load (xx.o) is compiled with a gcc
version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with
a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work."

Beside the fact that the message is rather misleading, both module and
kernel are actually compiled with GCC 3.0 but the module's associated
library is not, I need to find the reasons why this doesn't work.
I went to RedHat and GNU websites and found nothing about that. Is there any
technical documentation somewhere that I can get access to about these
incompatibilities ?

Help welcomed,
Thanks,
RG