Re: GCC incompatibility

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:17:28PM -0700, Goupil, Regis wrote:
> Beside the fact that the message is rather misleading, both module and
> kernel are actually compiled with GCC 3.0 but the module's associated
> library is not, I need to find the reasons why this doesn't work.
But the library is inserted into the module ;-)

> I went to RedHat and GNU websites and found nothing about that. Is there any
> technical documentation somewhere that I can get access to about these
> incompatibilities ?
See /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/spinlock.h, grep for __GNUC__.
GCC 3 allows empty structures, GCC 2 doesn't, therefore
spinlock_t and rwlock_t have different size in GCC 2/3-compiled
kernels. Binary modules therefore need recompiling, although
it may work by pure luck or extremely deffensive interface layer
design. I don't know of other issues directly related to GCC version,
but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
	Mirek