Re: GCC incompatibility

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 15:17, Goupil, Regis wrote:

> In RedHat 8.0, drivers compiled with an old library, old meaning compiled
> under RedHat earlier releases, failed to load with the following message:
> "xx.o: The module you are trying to load (xx.o) is compiled with a gcc
> version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with
> a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work."

Is this perhaps the nVidia GeForce driver? ;-)
Or the nForce motherboard driver?

If that is true, you have the solution here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=0a1f65710115c92a0e12c2bd2694fbb2&threadid=2873

In a nutshell, "insmod -f" works even though it gives you some
complaints.
If you wanna make the module load at boot-up, the -f trick does not
apply anomore, because the rc.d scripts are not forcing the modules.
Then, you have to tweak /etc/modules.conf a little bit. Read the URL
above.

Also, i've been told that nVidia will release updated drivers soon.

> Beside the fact that the message is rather misleading, both module and
> kernel are actually compiled with GCC 3.0 but the module's associated
> library is not, I need to find the reasons why this doesn't work.

Yes, the very same thing puzzled me. I recompiled the module myself,
using gcc-3.2 from RH8.0, yet i got the gcc version error. The reason
is, the nForce module has some binary component that's linked when you
rebuild it, and that component is compiled with an older compiler.

Pay attention, the nVidia RPM packages have a history of screwing up
your /etc/modules.conf. Make backups of it, and keep them for a long
time; otherwise, when you uninstall the package, you may lose
information from that file.
They don't seem to be willing to fix the problem.

--
Florin Andrei

I hope you're not that kind of person, who at the same time
praises the BSD license, but bitches at monopolies.