Re: Altering the MANPATH in RPM

Riku Meskanen wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>>>c) You set up link- and/or shellscript farm to /opt/bin
>>>   which is only /opt entry included in PATH variable.
>>>   When user references the applicatinon the shell script,
>>>   is invoked from /opt/bin which then sets the environment
>>>   before launching the application from /opt/application/bin.
>>>

>>So add a man link farm as /opt/man to match those in
>>/opt/bin
>>

> It does work, though migh not be pretty if you have
> many man pages.

Not much worse than any other link farm :)

We use wrappers here, and it's a pain.
that dir has to many entries, and it takes a while
to locate the actual files. You have to read and
decipher the script to figure out what's going on.

>>The man.config.d idea is nice. But solutions already exist.
>>The question related to a way for RPM to do this.
>>
>>The solution is if RPM installs executables in <somepath>
>>then put manpages in either <somepath>/man/man* or
>>in <somepath>/../man/man*, and either drops something into
>>/etc/profile.d (prefered) or the users add <somepath> to
>>their login scripts.
>>

> Which provides support for only the a) option with it's
> downsides explained earlier.

I think it handles option C too. just skip the profile.d
step, and rely on the user to have /opt/bin in their PATH.

I lost the comment on namespace collisions.
The solutions there are new, alternative sections
like mann and manm. Of course users migh never
find out that they need to check a different section :(

>>This works with man on recent linux distributions
>>like Red Hat 7+ at least, probably older ones.
> You came clear that you don't like the feature, and you are

I do like it. But it doesn't help users with older versions
of man. The other do hel them. So when Red Hat ships man with
the patch, then packages for that version can use the new
directory. Untill then, and for compatibility with
older distros, the AUTHOPATH methods work better.

> Anyway it's not in my hands any more if it will be used, though

Did you send it to the man maintainer for the project AND
the Red Hat package maintainer? Red Hat may include it before
the main man guys do.

> But, that's ofcourse just my opinion and as if man is considered
> perfect already there isn't much need to touch it further.

man is perfect, but the page writers and users aren't :)
A help system with bad help, is no help.

	-Thomas