Re: Altering the MANPATH in RPM

<SNIP>
> > >    is invoked from /opt/bin which then sets the environment
> > >    before launching the application from /opt/application/bin.
> > >
> > So add a man link farm as /opt/man to match those in
> > /opt/bin
> >
> It does work, though migh not be pretty if you have
> many man pages.

Also, I imagine that name space issues would occur quickly (i.e. man
pages with the same name), which is one of the reason's one might decide
to install their software in a different base directory.
> I said it would be nice feature and wrote set of patches
> to implement both features. It's no sour grapes from me
> if it does not go mainstream, it was just proposal with
> some code thought with no obligations. This happens a lot
> in Linux community, code is written to show functionality,
> some is used some isn't and I've become familiar with that
> along years.

But just as a vote of confidence, this feature does exactly what
I was looking for.  It provides a fairly clean way to handle
adding to the man search path in an additive way which is what
most packages would want to do.  Also, I have not checked it out
yet, but I bet your change will allow any man.config directives in the
man.config.d directory, which gives you some other flexebility.

<SNIP>
> But, that's ofcourse just my opinion and as if man is considered
> perfect already there isn't much need to touch it further.

I am laughing!  Its the best documentation system in the known universe;
why its the flower of intelectual efforts (-;
Cheers...james