Re: Altering the MANPATH in RPM

> >Some of the ways to work out environment for /opt
> >applications are
> >
> > a) You add PATH, MANPATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc to all
> >
> Handled by man by default with AUTOPATH so
> MANPATH can be left alone. Just fix PATH

Again, this is only handled if your files you have man pages for
are executables.  If they are executables this is good aproach albeit
not necessarily intuitive.

<SNIP>

> >One very important thing that I have learned past years,
> >"One size fits for all" does not work for all for all
> >and it's very good to have options how to set up software.
> >
> >IMO, the man.config.d and MANPATH globbing serves b) and
> >c) very well :)
> >
> The man.config.d idea is nice. But solutions already exist.
> The question related to a way for RPM to do this.
>
> The solution is if RPM installs executables in <somepath>
> then put manpages in either <somepath>/man/man* or
> in <somepath>/../man/man*, and either drops something into
> /etc/profile.d (prefered) or the users add <somepath> to
> their login scripts.

Well, it does not work, because once you set MANPATH the config file
is ignored, per the docs.

> This works with man on recent linux distributions
> like Red Hat 7+ at least, probably older ones.

It does not work on RH 7.2 for sure if you wish to maintain the existing
/etc/man.config setup, and add your stuff to it.  Your right /etc/profile.d
is a good place to drop things that modify global environment variables, but
the problem here is modifying the global variable will destroy the existing
setup (well at least make it ignored).  Gaining your packages manpages while
losing the system ones will cause loss of hapiness in unsuspecting sys-admins
quickly.

/etc/man.config.d and the globbing solutions, and some extra flexability that
that can easily be used as an RPM package best practice (that would be a
nice document (-; ).

Cheers...james