Re: Altering the MANPATH in RPM

James Olin Oden wrote:

> Again, this is only handled if your files you have man pages for
> are executables.  If they are executables this is good aproach albeit
> not necessarily intuitive.

Tak a look at all the man mages not accessable already
in a redhat install. Most all of them are function descriptions.
Like X programming stuff.

> <SNIP>
>>The solution is if RPM installs executables in <somepath>
>>then put manpages in either <somepath>/man/man* or
>>in <somepath>/../man/man*, and either drops something into
>>/etc/profile.d (prefered) or the users add <somepath> to
>>their login scripts.
>>

> Well, it does not work, because once you set MANPATH the config file
> is ignored, per the docs.

I dind't mean to change MANPATH, only PATH as is needed
to use the executables anyway.

Again, I though the quest was for a soultion that would
work now, for many users. The man.config.d idea is
great, send it to the man maintainers (both GNU and Red Hat)
for future versions.

But that doesn't help anyone running RHL-7.2 installing
you new RPM. They won't be able to access the man pages.
Using the above profile.d method, with proper paths will
give them access.

	-Thomas