Mondo (GPL bare metal recovery & cloning tool)

--- Riku Meskanen <mesrik@cc.jyu.fi> wrote:
> Nope, you guessed wrong, I haven't been living
> in complete darkness either :)

I know you aren't living in darkness, otherwise you
would be using some __OTHER__ O$. ;o)

> I've had VMware since Jun 21 1999 and gone trough
> all
> releases up to 3.0.0 currently with my laptop.
>
> I'm quite familiar that vmware has also server
> products, not
> just workstation version,

Have you had a chance to play with any of the ESX/GSX
servers yet?  They are very stable and are in use in
some fairly large companies to replicate many complex
environments. Among them would be Siemens, which is a
fairly large company IMO.

> I happened to jump Linux bandwagon -92 (since first
> working support of
> SCSI (AHA1542) appeared around .096-0.97) and been
> around with many *nix,
> mini, pc technologies than vast majority even
> haven't heard of. Built
> first LAN on -84 an so on ;)

I have only been using Linux since 1997, so I guess
you might know more about Linux than I.

> Virtual servers, blade servers etc. will have their
> uses, but until
> they will make their way in great numbers to
> production servers I
> would not hold my breath that they solve all your
> backup problems.

See above.

> Let me tell you a true story. If you have several
> servers thousands of
> kilometers away, accross the country, and either you
> have someone even
> pc-user at the site you can instruct him/her to
> insert with bootable
> recovery media and ask rebooting that darn server.
> Just make you give
> proper details of the rack and bay and read
> identification label not
> to accidentally reboot wrong host, oh well... seen
> that too :/
>
> You can come back even if you don't have complete
> lights-out management
> with service processors etc. I've done that couple
> of times once I worked
> for one of the worlds largest telecoms systems
> vendors (Lucent) and the
> Ignite was our saviour few times you had two options
> fly or drive as hell
> driven 1200km, to recover the system or just pick up
> the phone and ask
> basically any installer, datacom or datanetwork
> technician to give you a
> hand with few simple operations any reasonble human
> being can accomplish
> without special training.

But if you have a low-level BIOS-like OS that can give
you access to the ethernet (or other) network device
and you can respawn a virtual instance in a few
seconds, isn't that just as good? Then you don't have
to talk to anyone other than yourself (if you like
talking to yourself) and you can just press a button
and a new OS is running on the machine if you like.
You can copy a complete install of anything to any
machine in just a few seconds. It doesn't matter
whether it's 5 feet away or 5 thousand miles away. ;o)

> It's worth keeping the recovery simple, you and your
> boss both
> sleep much better.

Exactly, think about waking up and having a 5 second
recovery time.... more time for sleep.

=====
Kevin C. McConnell --RHCE-- <RedHat Certified Engineer>