Mondo (GPL bare metal recovery & cloning tool)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Kevin McConnell wrote:

> --- Riku Meskanen <mesrik@cc.jyu.fi> wrote:
>
> > Those of you who haven't had opportunity to
> > experience HP-UX
> > features of host cloning,
>
> I guess you've never heard of VMware.... which
> supports host cloning under linux in a few seconds.

Nope, you guessed wrong, I haven't been living
in complete darkness either :)

I've had VMware since Jun 21 1999 and gone trough all
releases up to 3.0.0 currently with my laptop.

I'm quite familiar that vmware has also server products, not
just workstation version, I've followed multiple projects like
from virtuozzo http://www.sw-soft.com/, virtual private servers
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc etc or anything
you can think that mainstream Linux sites or slashdot, etc.
has published.

I happened to jump Linux bandwagon -92 (since first working support of
SCSI (AHA1542) appeared around .096-0.97) and been around with many *nix,
mini, pc technologies than vast majority even haven't heard of. Built
first LAN on -84 an so on ;)

Virtual servers, blade servers etc. will have their uses, but until
they will make their way in great numbers to production servers I
would not hold my breath that they solve all your backup problems.

One of the important tricks the server virtualization does not
help a single bit is the capability of Mondo and Ignite to rearrange
or switch partition sizes, switch over to LVM, convert to sofware RAID,
or change to a diferent filesystem.

Remember that the bare metal backupsystems (Ignite, Mondo) do not just
copy back filesystem or partition, they are rebuild and configure
filesystems and most important configuration files too. Mondo has also
support for taking binary copy of a unsupported filesystem or possibly
even raw partition (didn't test it, but hey why shouldn't it work if it
uses same tricks with NTFS).

Let me tell you a true story. If you have several servers thousands of
kilometers away, accross the country, and either you have someone even
pc-user at the site you can instruct him/her to insert with bootable
recovery media and ask rebooting that darn server. Just make you give
proper details of the rack and bay and read identification label not
to accidentally reboot wrong host, oh well... seen that too :/

You can come back even if you don't have complete lights-out management
with service processors etc. I've done that couple of times once I worked
for one of the worlds largest telecoms systems vendors (Lucent) and the
Ignite was our saviour few times you had two options fly or drive as hell
driven 1200km, to recover the system or just pick up the phone and ask
basically any installer, datacom or datanetwork technician to give you a
hand with few simple operations any reasonble human being can accomplish
without special training.

It's worth keeping the recovery simple, you and your boss both
sleep much better.

HTH,

:-) riku

--
    [ This .signature intentionally left blank ]