Mondo (GPL bare metal recovery & cloning tool)

Howdy,

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Kevin McConnell wrote:
> --- Riku Meskanen <mesrik@cc.jyu.fi> wrote:
> > products, not
> > just workstation version,
>
> Have you had a chance to play with any of the ESX/GSX
> servers yet?  They are very stable and are in use in

No not yet, but will try to have during the spring if
time permits.

> > Virtual servers, blade servers etc. will have their
> > uses, but until
> > they will make their way in great numbers to
> > production servers I
> > would not hold my breath that they solve all your
> > backup problems.
>
> See above.

See below.

> > basically any installer, datacom or datanetwork
> > technician to give you a
> > hand with few simple operations any reasonble human
> > being can accomplish
> > without special training.
>
> But if you have a low-level BIOS-like OS that can give
> you access to the ethernet (or other) network device
> and you can respawn a virtual instance in a few
> seconds, isn't that just as good? Then you don't have
> to talk to anyone other than yourself (if you like
> talking to yourself) and you can just press a button
> and a new OS is running on the machine if you like.
> You can copy a complete install of anything to any
> machine in just a few seconds. It doesn't matter
> whether it's 5 feet away or 5 thousand miles away. ;o)

I'm sure the VM systems are great, but as I said above,
*I would not hold my breadth* that VM:s are deployed in
great numbers and replacing all the existing hosts/servers
any time soon... it will take time and by that time you
could use Mondo, free software with no additional costs,
works with existing HW, current Linux configuration etc.

> > It's worth keeping the recovery simple, you and your
> > boss both
> > sleep much better.
>
> Exactly, think about waking up and having a 5 second
> recovery time.... more time for sleep.

I'm willing to believe that VM is nice solution as
far as the HW is properly implemented and you have
separate service processor (built in chassis that
stays powered as long as power cord(s) are plugged
and you can access all the HW configuration via
that thus being able to power down CPU(s) etc).

I wouldn't really trust and even though I have seen
quite a many nicely built PC servers, none of them have
matched the reliablity and remote manageability of
HP, IBM and Sun HW. AFAIK the truth is that however good
and reliable your VM sofware is if that's running
on general dog-shit PC HW, it's not worth much when
Mr Murphy is considered too.

IMHO, there is no much point also continuing this conversation
any more, all worth saying has been said continuing from here
would make us just repeat ourselves. Thanks anyways for the
comments and critics too :)

For short, I suggest that Red Hat tries Mondo and seriously
considers including it ASAP to next distro and that's about
it for now.

HTH,

:-) riku

--
    [ This .signature intentionally left blank ]