Mondo (GPL bare metal recovery & cloning tool)

Howdy,

Dunno, about yours, but finding Mondo site certaily made
my day. Great stuff for Linux.

IMHO, it's well worth checking what's happening at project
Mondo http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

This is almost too good to be true, and if anybody you out
there ever administered HP-UX and know what Ignite-UX is
good for, you would almost kill to get that for Linux too ;)

Those of you who haven't had opportunity to experience HP-UX
features of host cloning, /dev/vg00 system backups and disaster
recovery preparation procedure (simple as "make_recovery -A -v"
with Ignite-UX) on DAT tape, the Mondo and goal seems to be the
same but burning bootable recovery CD-R/DVD-R/tape/nfs etc. ie. the
support of backup media is wider than with Ignite-UX.

I bet, once the word spreads out, it will soon one of the most
used backup, recovery and installation tool ever. I can't really
imagine that any of the major distributors, including Red Hat,
just can't afford leaving it out from a distro.

The way it's usually is that once you try Ignite-UX with HP-UX you
will rarely after that even consider installing from scratch, unless
absolutely necessary (ie. new HW or new model you have to install and
once prepare a bootable tape with Ignite-UX, after that you just boot
from tape and customize or let it automagically build your already
prepared environment).... just great, and after while you think how
did we ever manage without it!

:-) riku

ps.	Sorry about, being a bit flashy, but this kind of
	tool is definitely a killerapp for sysadmins, and
	I would like guys at Red Hat not to sleep over it.

pps.	Well, if I could make a wish it would be that LVM
	gets standard feature and with a HP MC/ServiceGuard
	for Linux port would encourage HP to port more apps,
	like Online Diagnostics etc  :)
--
    [ This .signature intentionally left blank ]