Creating RedHat CD

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 21:31, ext Rui Barreiros wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to build a custom redhat cd, so i customize the comps file,
> and run a self made perlscript to check dependencies and it creates a
> dir with all needed rpm's (usually they're about 190 mb).
>
> There are also another rpms that are needed to be present in that dir to
> buildinstall to run perfect, like anaconda*.rpm and kernel*.rpm
> Xconfigurator etc.
>
> after i run the genhdlist, buildinstall (2 or 3 errors that i think
> irrelevant for the problem itself) i burn the iso image and the cd
> doesn't boot.
>
> all the steps are described below:
>
> mkdir mycd
> mkdir mycd/RedHat
> mkdir mycd/RedHat/base
> mkdir mycd/RedHat/RPMS
>
> edit comps file, original from redhat 7.2
> (it's only the base system and some server packages not more, thus no X,
> gnome kde and all that superfluos packages for a very basic gateway)
>
> run my perl script
> (it checks all the packages in comps file, checks dependencies, and
> populates mycd/RedHat/RPMS with all necessary RPM's)
>
> copy the files needed for buildinstall
> kernel-* anaconda-* Xconfigurator... and gtk+...
>
> genhdlist --with-numbers mycd/
>
> generate the package order
> PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/anaconda
> pkgorder mycd i386 > filelist
>
> generate the hdlist with the correct order
> genhdlist --withnumbers --fileorder ./filelist mycd
>
> run buildinstall
> buildinstall mycd/
> (outputs only 2 or 3 errors about creating and removig a dir in
> mycd/RedHat/instimage/usr/X11R6/something/about/fonts, anyway this is
> not the problem)
>
> make the iso
> mkisofs -V "test cd" -r -J -T -b images/boot.img -c boot.cat -o mycd.iso
> mycd/
>
> after booting the cd, it just appears the prompt like:
>
> booting from CD:
>
> and it never boots.
>
> am i missing something?! is there an error on what i'm doing?!

Dunno if this is directly related to your problem but I think you should
be using the '-l' option to mkisofs to allow long filenames. Other than
that it looks basically the same as I'm using. Have you checked that you
can boot off the boot.img floppy?

> Another question is, is there any documentation on tweaking anaconda?!

There isn't much documentation about anaconda :( I suggest you join
anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com and check out it's archives. There was
also quite a lot of anaconda-related discussions a couple of months ago
on kickstart-list.

> like removing som screens and setting the expected values from them
> manually or adding screens, now i'm poking around the source, but i'ts
> not very intuitive or well commented to understand it easily (no python
> guru too, but learning).

It's nowhere near as bad as it seems at first sight (but yes, it's BIG
:) I successfully added some options to it (fs creation & kickstart),
added some defaults etc without having programmed a single line of
python before, after staring the source for some time and a lot of trial
and error...

I didn't try adding screens but it involves adding handlers  for your
stuff in dispatch.py installSteps -list and setSteps() in
installclass.py is used to set what steps are to be run, the actual
order seems to be defined in dispatch.

	- Panu -