Re: Change Printed Font

On February 4, 2004 08:53 am, Richard Ottinger wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to change the font that is printed out when
> you print a text file (lpr -Pprintername filename) from a terminal?
> Or if its possible?
> I'm in console mode (not X windows).  I'm using Red Hat 9 with CUPS.
>
> I'm upgrading a Red Hat 5.2 machine which seems to have a completely
> different font that prints from which RH 9 prints.
>
> The reason for upgrading the 5.2 machine is to also upgrade a database
> that issues lpr commands to print reports.  The reports are HUBAR!
> (HOSED UP BEYOND ALL RECOGNITION), and there's too many to reformat.
>
> I noticed the Printer Configuration utility program in X that will allow
> you to edit a printer and in the Queue Options tab change the cpi and
> lpi (will not let me change font type) which will get the font close to
> the same size but there's still a noticable difference in the Font type
> thats printed.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

If your printing to a postscript printer, use a2ps. Have a look at the a2ps
man page. It can be confusing but it also does a lot of stuff.
It work I use a alias of 'print' to run something like "fold -s <file>|a2ps"
which gives me nice font size, duplex, a header etc. It can be used to print
multiple sheets on one page by reducing the text, handy for reviewing a long
script and the like.

There are a lot of options and the defaults are not what you would want, but
it is a great tool to be familiar with, same with fold. Let me know if you
need a hand with it.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce