Change Printed Font

Title: Message
Does anyone know of a way to change the font that is printed out when you print a text file (lpr -Pprintername filename) from a terminal?
Or if its possible?
I'm in console mode (not X windows).  I'm using Red Hat 9 with CUPS.

I'm upgrading a Red Hat 5.2 machine which seems to have a completely different font that prints from which RH 9 prints.

The reason for upgrading the 5.2 machine is to also upgrade a database that issues lpr commands to print reports.  The reports are HUBAR! (HOSED UP BEYOND ALL RECOGNITION), and there's too many to reformat.

I noticed the Printer Configuration utility program in X that will allow you to edit a printer and in the Queue Options tab change the cpi and lpi (will not let me change font type) which will get the font close to the same size but there's still a noticable difference in the Font type thats printed.

Thanks,
Richard