Re: problem with display resolution

Hi again Stuart et al,

hah!
I actually think I have the answer...
have you checked if your monitor settings are correct?
the advanced tab in redhat-config-xfree86 is your friend here.
If it says unprobed monitor, or a monitor that is not the same model as yours,
then it'll never allow you to change resolutions beyond restrictive settings.
if you can't find your monitor in the list then choose one of the Generic
monitors that matches aresolution that you _know_ it is capable of
save and test with startx.

Well that was the problem all along! I am a newcomer to Linux and I didn't realize the crucial importance of having a valid monitor type defined in the display configuration. I guess I had assumed that since the linux installation procedure correctly identified the graphics card type, that ought to be sufficient. So I did as you suggested and all is well now. Thanks very much. Sorry I was such a whiner....

Eric