Re: problem with display resolution

On Wednesday 04 Feb 2004 16:07, Eric Evans wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron.  I would assume that the processor is either a
> Pentium or a Celeron because those are the ones that Dell typically uses,
> but I don't know how I would go about finding out which one it is.  The
> driver file I downloaded and installed was the IA32 one, it is called
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run.  Yes, I did the chmod on it and I ran
> it as root.  It didn't work.  I am still not able to change my screen
> resolution.  This is tremendously frustrating...
well it should. did it look like it was functioning (no daft error messages or
anything like that?)
secondly, have you checked...
a) as root, can you
# modprobe nvidia
b) if so,
# grep nv /etc/X11/XF86Config
what does this produce?
(you are of course doing all this in runlevel 3, right?)
c) if not, then the kernel module didnot compile - you should have seen some
errors... try
# find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -type f -name nvidia.o
#depmod -ae

if all else fails, just to check your hardware,
run redhat-config-xfree86
choose (on the advanced tab)
Generic monitor that can do 1024x768
driver vesa (you may have to type this into the box)
save and test with startx.

hah!
I actually think I have the answer...
have you checked if your monitor settings are correct?
the advanced tab in redhat-config-xfree86 is your friend here.
If it says unprobed monitor, or a monitor that is not the same model as yours,
then it'll never allow you to change resolutions beyond restrictive settings.
if you can't find your monitor in the list then choose one of the Generic
monitors that matches aresolution that you _know_ it is capable of
save and test with startx.

Let me know how you get on...
Stuart