Re: Red Hat as an e-mail server...

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Ken Morley wrote:

> I have a customer with a proprietary web-mail product that provides email
> services to about 300 users in 150 branch offices via a satellite  network.
> This JoyDesk web-mail product runs on Linux 7.2 makes use of Sendmail, etc.
> for handling external mail and I assume that it uses procmail and other
> standard Linux facilities as well.

Just a personal bugbear here - "Linux 7.2" does not exist, the curent
version is 2.6.1. While we know what you mean - it pays to use the right
terminology so that you dont end up with completely wrong answers. - It is
RedHat Linux 7.2 (7.2 being the distribution)

> The problem is that the users absolutely hate the web mail interface and
> want to go back to using their Outlook Express POP3 clients.  So, I'm
> considering reloading the server with a more current version of Red Hat and
> using it strictly as an enterprise email server for POP3/IMAP clients.  Am I
> correct in that current versions of Red Hat have everything needed to create
> an enterprise server capable of supporting POP3/IMAP clients or are their
> third-party applications needed?

Pretty much every version of RedHat Linux has the required files to
support POP3/IMAP clients, the later versions also come with the
Squirrelmail WebMail package - which can also be downloaded from
http://www.squirrelmail.org (they have RPM's for various versions of
RedHat linux there as well)

Various other webmail implementations include

IS Mail (Very Outlookish, but requires updates to XML files if
running on RedHat 9.0 or older)
* http://www.insidesystems.net/projects/project.php?projectid=4

Squirrelmail - Comes as default with later versions of RedHat, very easy
to setup and maintain and a very nice and clean interface - probably one
of the better Webmail clients out there
* http://www.squirrelmail.org

OpenWebmail - Very easy to setup and a nice clean interface, works via
POP3 instead of IMAP which can cause issues but tends to make it easier to
setup for those unfamiliar with the workings of IMAP
* http://www.openwebmail.com

Freshmeat.net - Great place to find software, in the search box try typing
"webmail" and you will get around 3-4 pages worth of projects in this
area.
* http://freshmeat.net

Be aware as well that you can run more than one webmail interface and let
the users choose which one they like and want to use.

To setup a mail system with webmail, you will want to ensure that you have
PHP installed, and may also need the mysql and php-mysql packages as well,
depending on the webmail implementation that you choose.

> Also, the customer will be maintaining this as far as adding/deleting users,
> cleaning up mailboxes, etc.  It would be nice if there was a graphical
> interface for doing so, so they didn't have to manually edit files, etc.  Do
> current versions of Red Hat offer a graphical maintenance facility or does a
> third-party app exist that pretties it up?

Look into webmin - http://www.webmin.com - it is a very good remote setup
tool, failing that, RedHat comes with a number of GUI tools that can be
run from the console or via a remote X session, but you will probably find
that this will be more confusing than using webmin and setting up a
favorite for the admin in his web browser.

HTH.

--
Steve.