Re: Red Hat as an e-mail server...

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, David C. Hart wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 15:25, Steve wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, David C. Hart wrote:
> > > Have you considered Courier with LDAP or MySQL support compiled in?
> >
> > With 300 users, Courier and LDAP, while good, may introduce more
> > complexity than is really necessary and unless the person setting up the
> > system knows LDAP and Courier well, they will probably end up frustrated
> > and possibly turning to a non-linux solution as "its simpler"
> >
> I have deleted the original email but I think he said that they were
> spread out over 150 branches. then there are roaming users perhaps. I am
> thinking ahead to SMTP authentication. I'm far from an expert.

SMTP Authentication can be done with the stock sendmail installation that
comes with RedHat, and picking up POP3/IMAP mail remotely is simply a
matter of allowing those ports through whatever firewall type software you
have and possibly setting up TLS/SSL encryption - again, all of which work
stock out of the box (as long as you have the certificates setup, may
also require some minor config changes)

--
Steve.