Recompiling RH enterprise WS 3 kernel with ACPI

Hi all,

I'm using Redhat enterprise linux (WS 3.0) on a laptop and would like to
include ACPI support. Is there anyone who did this sucessfully?? I have the impression that the acpi source in the WS 3.0 kernel (2.4.21-9) is not complete.

There was already some earlier discussion on this list about recompiling the kernel, whihc is not as easy as it used to be, because the configuration files in the configs directory (now: /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-9.EL/configs) are somewhat incomplete. The solution seems to be to use 'make oldconfig', although I did not try to find out where this takes its configuration from...

When doing 'make [x|mennu]config' afterwards, however, the ACPI support options are not show in the configuration menu for WS 3.0 (they are in RH8). Since most of the source seems to be there (drivers/acpi), I included drivers/acpi/Config.in in config.in and tried again, but then I get an error during compilation: asm/acpi.h missing. The patch list on
kernelnewbies.org seems to show that some effort was made to include
acpi. So, my preliminary conclusion is that the acpi patches are incomplete. I tried to find an alternative patch on the acpi homepage, but there are no patches for 2.4.21 there.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Marco.