Re: iptables logging help & network config bug

Sean Estabrooks wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:04:57 +0100
Leo <champen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know. I just created a user chain with 2 rules, a LOG one and a DROP
one. I can see the logs with dmesg, but not with syslogd, that the
prob.

Not sure what you mean that you can't see it with syslogd. Do you mean that you don't see any entries in one of the /var/log/* files? This will depend on your /etc/syslogd.conf file. A line like:

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages

Should ensure that LOG targets generate an entry in the /var/log/messages
file. By default LOG targets generate WARNING messages so the above line
will "catch" them.

Yes, that's what I meant.
However this problem is solved. It seems that upon reboot messages got logged Ok, even though I had run the command '/sbin/service iptables restart'.
I rebooted and all Ok.
Thanks.

What I'm saying is that the redhat gnome network configurator writes /etc/hosts like this:
hostname ipaddress aliases

All the versions i could test do not behave like this. However they
don't validate the data and will put whatever you type in the address
field into the first column of /etc/hosts. If you happen to type a
hostname into the address field it will appear in the first column. If
you're using a language other than english it's even possible the fields
are labelled incorrectly.

I'm using English version of RedHat 9.
THis behaviour does happen as I told you.
In my system the columns for the Hosts Tab in the network configurator are ordered as: IP, Name and Aliases. This has happened the same in several systems, currently I have installed RedHat 9 on 3 computers, one of them in Spanish, and one of them an English one with 2 network cards, that behavior is the same.

Additionally, sometimes when saving I get a message box with title "Exception Occurred", with the text:

"An unhandled exception has occurred. This is most likely a bug. Please save the crash dump and file a detailed bug rport..." etc.

And a text field with the following text:

Component: redhat-config-network
Version: 1.2.0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/src/build/226257-noarch/install/usr/share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/gui/maindialog.py", line 579, in on_applyButton_clicked
File "/usr/src/build/226257-noarch/install/usr/share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/gui/maindialog.py", line 291, in save
File "/usr/src/build/226257-noarch/install/usr/share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/gui/maindialog.py", line 324, in saveProfiles
File "/usr/src/build/226257-noarch/install/usr/share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/NCProfileList.py", line 349, in save
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhpl/Conf.py", line 513, in __delitem__
del self.vars[varname]
KeyError: 127.0.0.1

Local variables in innermost frame:
varname: 127.0.0.1
self: <rhpl.Conf.ConfEHosts instance at 0x86e0e14>

However when it crashes, the file /etc/hosts isn't written.

Sean