Re: iptables logging help & network config bug

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:04:57 +0100
Leo <champen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know. I just created a user chain with 2 rules, a LOG one and a DROP
> one.  I can see the logs with dmesg, but not with syslogd, that the
> prob.

Not sure what you mean that you can't see it with syslogd.   Do  you
mean that you don't see any entries in one of the /var/log/* files?   This
will depend on your /etc/syslogd.conf file.  A line like:

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages

Should ensure that LOG targets generate an entry in the  /var/log/messages
file.   By default LOG targets generate WARNING messages so the above line
will "catch" them.

> What I'm saying is that the redhat gnome network configurator writes
> /etc/hosts like this:
> hostname ipaddress aliases

All the versions i could test do not behave like this.  However they
don't validate the data and will put whatever you type in the address
field into the first column of /etc/hosts.   If you happen to type a
hostname into the address field it will appear in the first column.   If
you're using a language other than english it's even possible the fields
are labelled incorrectly.

Sean