pop won't authenticate my password

Hi, I run Red Hat Linux 9 on a computer that's part of a home network
that has a fixed IP address and domain name linked to the IP address.
I've just started using an e-mail server on this system, and I use SMTP
as an outgoing mail server and POP as the incoming mail server (I made
sure the 25 and 110 ports are open under the network's firewall). Right
now I'm using just Mozilla Mail to test everything out first before I
look into adopting a more advanced e-mail client.

After I set up my account with Mozilla Mail, the SMTP server works fine,
i.e. I can send mail to any Internet address and my address will be
given as coming from my domain name. However, when I try to retrieve
mail, as my Mozilla is set up to do first thing when it starts, I'm
asked to "Enter your password for ed@pop" ("ed" is my RH9 user name,
with the only other one on my system being "root"). I supply my normal
RH9 password for user "ed", but I get in response "The PASS command did
not succeed. Mail server pop responded: Authentication failed." I tried
other variations on what my pop password might be, including "ed"
itself, "root" and a bunch of other wild guesses, but each time nothing
worked.

I've researched this problem in the Red Hat support archives and the
closest I come is that perhaps I need to do something with the
/etc/passwd file and also I found this thread in the June 2003 archives
for this list: