Re: pop won't authenticate my password

At 06:53 1/16/2004, you wrote:
Hi, I run Red Hat Linux 9 on a computer that's part of a home network
that has a fixed IP address and domain name linked to the IP address.
I've just started using an e-mail server on this system, and I use SMTP
as an outgoing mail server and POP as the incoming mail server (I made
sure the 25 and 110 ports are open under the network's firewall). Right
now I'm using just Mozilla Mail to test everything out first before I
look into adopting a more advanced e-mail client.

Better strategy: test things out yourself. When you follow these instructions, don't make a mistake! You won't hurt anything, but you will have to start over since the POP daemon doesn't like backspaces too well. Assuming that machine is 192.168.0.1:

1. telnet 192.168.0.1 110 (note the space between the IP address and the 110)

2. Wait for a response.

3. "user ed" (response should be "OK").

4. "pass password" (response should be "OK").

5. "list" (you should get stuff back).

6. "retr 1" (message 1 should be displayed).

7. "quit"

Does that give an error? If so, can you post the exact sequence you're typing and the exact error in your next message?

As noted by someone else, your user is "ed" and not "ed@pop". Can you also give us the results of "grep ed /etc/passwd"?

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com