Re: Colored auras around text when using DVI connector

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Edward Dekkers wrote:

>> I have a Sony LCD monitor (an SDM-X73, in case that is relevant), and am
>> trying to use it on Red Hat 9.0 with the monitor's DVI input.  It works
>> fine for a while, but then something inevitably happens where with black
>> text on a white or grey background, there are annoying color auras
>> around the letters.  There are several different colors of aura and
>> different letters will have different colored auras.  A wide letter,
>> such as an "m", may have different auras on its different parts.
>>
>> Some other data that might be relevent:
>
>About the only test you haven't done is the one that will answer the
>question: Is this a Linux/X Windows issue?
>
>Dare I say it (NO FLAMES please!!!), does this happen under Windows?

Windows does subpixel also (they call it Cleartype), however I
believe it is either disabled by default unless you enable it and
configure it, or else the .INF files for the hardware configure
it properly in the Windows registry so that it just works without
users needing to know/care about it.

I believe that is fairly accurate, however someone who knows more
about Windows cleartype might have a better answer.  Either way,
it's entirely a software configuration problem so wether it works
or not in Windows wouldn't matter.  Failure in both OS's would
indicate misconfiguration in both OS's.  Non-failure in one OS,
would mean that it's configured properly in one OS, or disabled
entirely on that OS.

HTH