Colored auras around text when using DVI connector

I have a Sony LCD monitor (an SDM-X73, in case that is relevant), and am
trying to use it on Red Hat 9.0 with the monitor's DVI input.  It works
fine for a while, but then something inevitably happens where with black
text on a white or grey background, there are annoying color auras
around the letters.  There are several different colors of aura and
different letters will have different colored auras.  A wide letter,
such as an "m", may have different auras on its different parts.

Some other data that might be relevent:

   - This problem does not happen if I use the monitors VGA input,
     rather than the DVI input, but I would prefer to use the DVI input.

   - This same problem happens on two different computers that have the
     same model of monitor, so it doesn't seem like the problem is a
     flakey monitor.

   - Power cycling the monitor does not fix the problem, even for a
     period of time.

   - Rebooting the computer will fix the problem, but only for a while.

   - Switching video cards from an ATI model to an nVidia model does not
     fix the problem.

   - The problem is not very noticable with fonts that are very thin --
     they have to have a bit of thickness to them for the problem to be
     readily apparent.

   - Alas, I don't have a different model or make of LCD monitor with a
     DVI input to see if the problem occurs with all DVI displays, or
     just this model.

Any ideas on what is going on here and how I might fix it?