RE: managing passwords

> There are probably 20 +/- 5 accounts that require some sort of password.
> Too much for me to remember, especially when I don't use them all
> everyday, some not even once in a month or more.

You have to remember all 20 accounts?  Are they all user accounts?

> > Everywhere I have worked I've only known two passords (maybe a few
> > more) . my unix uesrname, and root.  Occasoinally I would remember a
> > third (windows login) as I didn't want my windows and unix logins to
> > be the same.
>
> Well I'm the system administrator here (if you can call me that!) so I
> have to know everything.

:)

> Also, I don't remember reading any suggestions for me in your email, did
> I miss something or did you not give any?

Your email asked for suggestions or "how we deal with this?"

My response was that most everywhere I worked I only needed to know two
passwords so  I was curious why you had to know so many ...   I can see
maybe up to 5 (appserver login, firewall, root, username, another
appserver).  So that was just out of curiosity.

and my other response was that at my new job, the first place where I had to
know so many passwords becuase they are separate per machine, they keep
track in a file that is password accessible (it's on a samba share stored as
an excel spreadsheet and there are only sysadin accounts on the samba
machine).  That is a response to "how we deal with this?".  Here at work
they have them all in a file.

My preferred way for having to keep track of so many passwords (which i
realize I do have to do ..for ebay, paypal, yahoo mail, network solutions,
etc.) is I keep them in my palm pilot.  You could also do excel spreadsheet
or just straight text file.  The key is to not write the actual password
down but a clear (to you ) password hint.

For example, one of my old passwords is

atwcrbtr

(nice password huh?  uncrackable?)

and my password hint was "OK" so on a sheet of paper I would list the
machine, username, and "OK" as the password

I would as much as possible want to stay away from writing passwords down
anywhere, but in your case having to know so many, write down the accounts
and password hints to save your brain some work.

in this example, "OK" to me is "OKLAHOMA" , and the main musical number in
Oklahoma the last line of the first verse is
"And the wind comes right behind the rain"
first letter of each word = atwcrbtr

:)
convulted?  Yes.. you should see my other passwords

hope that was helpful.  Good luck

Cheers-
Ben