Re: New document posted: DNS First Steps

At 14:50 1/4/2004, Jason Dixon wrote:
> http://www.simpaticus.com/linux
> Feel free to critique and comment!

I've always found that publicly accessible documents describing DNS fail
to give a practical understanding of the DNS resolution process itself,
particularly include caching/TTL/etc.  [...]

* (Yikes, it really concerns me that the word "cache|caching" isn't even
found in your doc)

Your points are excellently made and well-taken. My only defense (<grin>) is that the text was primarily written in 2001 when I knew even less than I do now, and that all I did in the last two days was type it up into DocBook XML so I could post it. I'll begin making reviews, improvements, and updates now.

I'll happily take suggestions of corrections or missing material. A general description of the DNS system, the whole concept of a resolving nameserver vs one that serves zones, caching, resolving, TTL, the SOA, the detailed zone file... lots of stuff is missing! Send me email any way you want to: bullets, brief comments, paragraphs, whatever. I'll handle integrating it into the rest of the document. :-)

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com