Re: New document posted: DNS First Steps

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 15:05, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Hello, everyone:
>
> Since I've received so much help on both redhat-list and fedora-list
> before, and since these questions are so common, I've posted a new document
> on Simpaticus: a "DNS First Steps" text. It requires absolutely no prior
> knowledge and provides only simple and basic definitions of terms and
> concepts for "Beginners Without Clue". Like everything else, it's
> accessible from:
>
> http://www.simpaticus.com/linux
>
> Thanks again to everyone for the many times I've gotten help or answers
> from these lists; hopefully these texts will begin to help others at least
> in some small way. Feel free to critique and comment!

I've always found that publicly accessible documents describing DNS fail
to give a practical understanding of the DNS resolution process itself,
particularly include caching/TTL/etc.  In fact, the only mention I see
of time-to-lives in your document is with respect to the master/slave
relationship.  Understanding TTLs and their role in the caching process
is a huge step to truly understanding DNS.

* (Yikes, it really concerns me that the word "cache|caching" isn't even
found in your doc)

Rodolfo, I'd love to contribute this information to your document, but
it's a bitch to translate to the written word.  Please email me directly
if you want to pursue.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting