Re: can't figure out this sendmail error

At 21:05 12/30/2003, you wrote:
I just installed RH9 and installed a basic server. I almost immediately
downloaded and install apt and ran 'atp-get update sendmail'. It
subsequently downloaded about 52 packages and installed them.

I don't use apt, so I don't know what it may have installed. The usual is sendmail, sendmail-doc, and sendmail-cf; but it may also have installed other packages and libraries, like SASL, that sendmail can use in some circumstances. I hope the "52" is just a dramatization and not a hard fact.

I then changed the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file to allow connections from
places other than localhost. I rebuilt sendmail.cf using m4 and then
restarted sendmail and got the following error.

I have a short HOWTO on allowing external connections to Sendmail and setting up SMTP AUTH so you're not an open relay. At the end of that document is a complete and functional sendmail.mc file. Why don't you take a look at that whole document, and then tell us what's different between my sendmail.mc and yours? Given that the error is complaining about the mailer, look especially at the last few lines.

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.html

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com