RE: can't figure out this sendmail error

Rodolfo J. Paiz <mailto:rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 7:23 PM said:

> I don't use apt, so I don't know what it may have installed. The
> usual is sendmail, sendmail-doc, and sendmail-cf; but it may also
> have installed other packages and libraries, like SASL, that sendmail
> can use in some circumstances. I hope the "52" is just a
> dramatization and not a hard fact.

No seriously. It updated and/or installed 52 packages. Unfortunately I
don't think a log was made but I think those packages you listed above
were in it... along with the rest. ;)

> I have a short HOWTO on allowing external connections to Sendmail and
> setting up SMTP AUTH so you're not an open relay. At the end of that
> document is a complete and functional sendmail.mc file. Why don't you
> take a look at that whole document, and then tell us what's different
> between my sendmail.mc and yours? Given that the error is complaining
> about the mailer, look especially at the last few lines.

Can't relaying be stopped without using SMTP AUTH? Do I have the wrong
idea when I say SMTP AUTH will require that any sender to an email
address in your domain has to have some kind of name and password to
send mail?

Let me clarify a little and maybe that will curb some confusion. This
server is going to be meant mainly as a web server serving two sites.
The only mail that will really be done by this will be outgoing (i.e.
"Your order has shipped jackass!").

Some more info:

I am using RAID5 on this install and did some symlinks (at the
suggestion of someone else in a thread I started from long ago).

Pine is throwing errors as well when I try to compose a message and send
it. It says:

[SMTP greeting failure: 421 SMTP connection went away!]

Any ideas?

Chris.

p.s. If this gives me much more trouble I'm just going to start over. :\