Re: unknown process hogging cpu... need help.

Timothy Stone writes:

 > On Dec 29, 2003, at 7:33 PM, Timothy Stone wrote:
 >
 > Well, I had to kill the PC. 176 days of uptime. If the list would like
 > to see the system logs, I'll paste.
 >
 > Seems there was a hung nautilus process. System kept killing processes
 > (all sequentially numbered if I recall correctly). Over and over.
 > Anyhoo...system came up after poweroff clean enough.
 > Boo on the uptime though :(.
 >
 > Tim

Too bad on the uptime, Tim.  I had a webserver up for 251 days last
summer.  A siezed up cooling fan took out the power supply at 2 AM on
a Saturday morning.  I had it fixed and back online in about an hour.

We had a name server back in 2000 that had 500 some odd days of
uptime.  We had to move the office facility.  We tried to keep it up
with the UPS, but the batteries did not have the stamina for it.

Security related kernel patches come out so often nowdays that any
server on the internet with a very long uptime is a *TARGET*!

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
R. J. Brown III  rj@xxxxxxxxxxx http://www.elilabs.com/~rj  voice 859 567-7311