Re: Hot-plug SCSI tape drive?

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 19:10, Ken Rossman wrote:
> Has anyone out there ever had to plug SCSI devices onto a chain with
> the system up (I know, "not recommended"), and tried to get them to be
> recognized by that system?  I have a need to keep this particular system
> up and running (i.e. no reboot allowed, at least for awhile), but I need
> to add an extra tape drive to the system.
>
> Isn't there some magic incantation to get new SCSI devices to be
> recognized
> by an up-and-running system?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
> Ken Rossman
> rossman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> --

I haven't used this in a while and I haven't 'hot plugged' a SCSI device
into a std channel, but I have used this to take a SCSI device offline
and shut it down and the reverse.  Note that I do _not_ recommend
plugging your tape device in 'hot' as it's not designed for it.  If you
do plug it in and everything survives, then this should get you online.

#!/bin/sh
#
# Add a SCSI device dynamically
#
#  a == hostadapter id (first one being 0)
#  b == SCSI channel on hostadapter (first one being 0)
#  c == ID
#  d == LUN (first one being 0)
#
#  ie: this adds a device on adapter 0, channel 0, id 3 and LUN 0
#
#      echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 3 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
#

echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 6 0"    > /proc/scsi/scsi

or   "scsi remove-single-device 0 0 6 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

Good Luck!

Cokey

F. 'Cokey' de Percin, DBA       Email:
CSC                              Work - cdeperci@xxxxxxx