Re: unknown process hogging cpu... need help.

Robert Brown wrote:

Security related kernel patches come out so often nowdays that any
server on the internet with a very long uptime is a *TARGET*!

Yeah, a given. I hate learning about such patches.

My staging server is behind the corporate firewall and is not publically accessible. So I put off some kernel fixes. The machine in question needs a larger HDD anyway. Hell, I need a new machine...who doesn't? :) But this one hums along for a 500mHz PIII with 128MB RAM and a 6GB HDD (I have a 40GB in the wings...)

What my original post was hoping for was a way to arrest a process(es) that was consuming 99% of the CPU. Something that would have said, "This instruction is of the highest priority. Cease all others and do this." CTRL-ALT-Delete and CTRL-Backspace (X) failed. The keyboard was not being answered. I was forced to halt the box. In fact the first two power button presses were ignored! I had to reset, press and hold for five seconds. It was very disturbing.

All is better now. Save my uptime. ;)

Tim