Re: unknown process hogging cpu... need help.

On Dec 29, 2003, at 7:33 PM, Timothy Stone wrote:

List,

I need help. I have an unknown process that has suddenly starting hogging the CPU on my staging server (RH8).

Well, I had to kill the PC. 176 days of uptime. If the list would like to see the system logs, I'll paste.

I came back from the screensaver, pressed ALT-F2 to open a gnome-terminal. Pressed F1 to get a help window (I wanted to look something up). As the help window opened, I moused over to a mozilla window and clicked the close widget.

Seems there was a hung nautilus process. System kept killing processes (all sequentially numbered if I recall correctly). Over and over. Anyhoo...system came up after poweroff clean enough.
Boo on the uptime though :(.

Tim