Re: problems getting CD-RW into SCSI emulation

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:15:37 -0600, Julian Opificius wrote:

> Thanks Pete,
>
> Yep, once I corrected my syntax error in grub.conf, I see meaningful stuff
> from dmesg that looks similar to yours.
>
> I had noticed while searching through old postings that the "hdd=ide-scsi"
> option in grub.conf should have directly followed the  "kernel
> /boot/vmlinuz ... " line, not been on a line if its own.
>
> I also see ide-scsi and scsi-mod from lsmod.
>
> And I now see the bus/target/lun numbers with "cdrecord -scanbus".
>
> The only thing I'm unclear about now is the need for an alias in
> modules.conf.

You don't need any of the old-style ide-scsi stuff for modules.conf.
The kernel command-line parameter is enough.

> I need to be able to mount the rascal now, don't I ?

You can still access it as /dev/hdd (which should be linked from
/dev/cdrom), as well as /dev/scd0. You can use either one of those three
in /etc/fstab. You need not specify the file-system as -t iso9660, as it
will be detected automatically. Also, the read-only media will be
recognized, and mounted as such, too.