problems getting CD-RW into SCSI emulation

I'm putting a CD-RW into a RH8 system for file backup purposes.

I'm not yet successful in getting the IDE CD-RW up and running under SCSI emulation.

The BIOS sees the drive.

I've put "hdd=ide-scsi" in grub.conf, as I believe I'm supposed to, but it still shows up as hdd in /var//log/messages.

I've put in the modprobe lines into modules.conf as per Trumper's HOWTO.

The SCSI emulation driver banner show up in /var/log/messages, but the CD-RW is still listed as hdd, not with a SCSI drive identifier, and no SCII address codes show up.

the fist time I run "cdrecord -scanbus" it lists both the regular CD-ROM and the CD-RW as hdc and hdd respectively, but with no SCSI numbers.

Could someone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Julian.