IDE hard drive blocks

Hi guys,

Please excuse this simple question, but is it possible (and safe to do so)
to format large IDE drives better in RH, using smaller blocks?

Here's the problem.  I have a RH9 system that I use for some remote backups
and have couple WD 120GB drives in it (/home2 and /home3) in addition to the
boot drive, ie: three physical drives.  The data I'm backing up is on remote
servers all running SCSI RAID-5 and the total amount of disk space used on
the server side is 46GB (as indicated by 'df').  A simple rsync to this
remote RH9 system on IDE drives fails to back up 46GB worth of data to a
single 120GB drive, it keeps running out of disk space.  The only thing I
can figure out is that the block size on the IDE drives is much larger and
small files, say 1KB, take the full block, which is perhaps 64KB or maybe
even bigger, and that's how a 120GB drive is "too small" to back up 46GB
worth of data.

Is my reasoning correct?  If so, how can I find out what the block size is
now on the IDE drives, and how can I reformat existing /home2 and /home3
drives with smaller block sizes using ext3 fs?

Thanks,

Chris