Re: Question on Internet access of vsftp server

Pete,

One more question. Do I need to enable udp for the ftp connection? I'm looking at the /etc/services file and it mentions both tcp and udp against the FTP port numbers.

-Bob

Follow up: I am able to FTP out from the server. I don't know if that helps.

Pete,

It was working from within the lan, which is why I'm alittle confused.
I moved it to a different network, and it has a router in front of it to a DSL modem, and it's now on a different network.

I do have a line like that using netstat -l:
tcp        0      0 <MACHINE_NAME>:ftp *:*                     LISTEN

Let me move the log line to the top of the rule set and try again.

-Bob

Bob,
I thought it was working from within your lan. Can you access via ftp from the localhost (may need to use ip#) or from another local system?

does "netstat -l" show a line including something like:
tcp        0      0   *:ftp   *:*     LISTEN
(or maybe 21 instaead of ftp)

Even if vsftp is not running, a log line in the top of your rules above the ftp allow stuff, should log all new ftp attempts. If you are not even getting that, the problem is not vsftp. I would expect log messages to be in: /var/log/messages