Re: problems getting CD-RW into SCSI emulation

Thanks Pete,

Yep, once I corrected my syntax error in grub.conf, I see meaningful stuff from dmesg that looks similar to yours.

I had noticed while searching through old postings that the "hdd=ide-scsi" option in grub.conf should have directly followed the "kernel /boot/vmlinuz ... " line, not been on a line if its own.

I also see ide-scsi and scsi-mod from lsmod.

And I now see the bus/target/lun numbers with "cdrecord -scanbus".

The only thing I'm unclear about now is the need for an alias in modules.conf. I need to be able to mount the rascal now, don't I ? I see some references to the alias, linking ide-scsi to scsi device names in old postings, but I'm not clear about it.

Thanks!

Julian.
============================

At 10:53 PM 12/19/03, you wrote:
On December 19, 2003 07:32 pm, Julian Opificius wrote:
> I'm putting a CD-RW into a RH8 system for file backup purposes.
>
> I'm not yet successful in getting the IDE CD-RW up and running under SCSI
> emulation.
>
> The BIOS sees the drive.
>
> I've put "hdd=ide-scsi" in grub.conf, as I believe I'm supposed to, but it
> still shows up as hdd in /var//log/messages.
>
> I've put in the modprobe lines into modules.conf as per Trumper's HOWTO.
>
> The SCSI emulation driver banner show up in /var/log/messages, but the
> CD-RW is still listed as hdd, not with a SCSI drive identifier, and no SCII
> address codes show up.
>
> the fist time I run "cdrecord -scanbus" it lists both the regular CD-ROM
> and the CD-RW  as hdc and hdd respectively, but with no SCSI numbers.
>
> Could someone tell me what I'm missing?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Julian.

Julian,
The device does not actually show up as a scsi device with a scsi id, it
simply emulates scsi communications.

Do you get something like this from dmesg:
dmesg|grep hdg
Kernel command line: ro root=LABEL=/ hdg=ide-scsi
ide_setup: hdg=ide-scsi
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xd608-0xd60f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hdg: HP CD-Writer+ 7100, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdg: attached ide-scsi driver.

If so, things are fine.
You can also run lsmod and you should see ide-scsi and scsi_mod loaded.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce