Re: RH9 - Can't add second drive - for backup - conclusions.

All right, here's the summary.  The drive-to-drive backup does
work in RH9, but you have to change /etc/fstab to reflect device
names instead of labels.  For example, if fstab contains:

LABEL=/   /   ext3   defaults   1 1

change it to:

/dev/hda5   /   ext3   defaults   1 1

Do this to each line containing a LABEL statement.  I'm not sure
what is the best way to find the actual device name (hda?) for
each partition on a text-only installation.  I ran Disk Druid
from the setup CD and backed out after viewing the info.

When you finish editing /etc/fstab on the first drive, turn off
the computer, add the second drive (unformatted) as a slave, and
use dd to copy all the partitions from the first drive to the
second drive:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=1024k

Now you have a backup.  To use it, turn off the computer and
change the jumpers on both drives to make the master the slave
and vice-versa.

This assumes you are using two IDE drives, and the backup drive
is the same size or larger than the primary drive.

Thanks again for the help.   -Glenn.