Re: RH9 - Can't add second drive - for backup.

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 16:05, glenn wrote:

> I thought about replacing the labels with partition names, but
> wonder if the same thing will happen if I reboot after backing
up
> from one drive to the other.  Since I will be copying the
> partitions to the backup drive, both drives will still end up
> with the same /etc/fstab.   -Glenn.

Jason sez:

>Shouldn't matter.  The bootloader *should* only look at the
>fstab in /dev/hda1.  Either way, why not simply *try* first,
>then report back afterwards?  :)

Jason - Sheesh, you sound like my wife.  I was stalling for time
while trying to figure out how to copy 13 gigs worth of nearly
empty partitions onto a 10-gig drive.  After messing with that
for a few hours, I decided to use a 20-gig drive instead.

Anyway, I booted the computer with only the original drive
connected and dutifully replaced the label notations
in /etc/fstab with the device names for the partitions and
restarted the computer with both drives connected.  Yay, it
worked.

O.k., now for the real test.  Mounted /dev/hdb5 (/) and tried to
copy fstab to the backup drive.  It said it was the same file.
I'm thinking, duh, but you usually ask me if I want to
overwrite.  Oh, well, maybe it'll work.  I turn the machine off
and reset the jumpers to boot from the backup drive.  Boot up,
and we're back to the label thing.

Well, it's too late on Friday evening to stay at the office any
longer, so this story will be continued on Monday, when I try to
discern how fstab on hdb can be linked to fstab on hda, never
figure it out, and have to boot with only the backup drive so I
can change /etc/fstab on it.

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys.  It's coming along.   -Glenn.