Re: RH9 - Can't add second drive - for backup.

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, glenn wrote:
snip...

> Jason - Sheesh, you sound like my wife.  I was stalling for time
> while trying to figure out how to copy 13 gigs worth of nearly
> empty partitions onto a 10-gig drive.  After messing with that
> for a few hours, I decided to use a 20-gig drive instead.
>
> Anyway, I booted the computer with only the original drive
> connected and dutifully replaced the label notations
> in /etc/fstab with the device names for the partitions and
> restarted the computer with both drives connected.  Yay, it
> worked.
>
> O.k., now for the real test.  Mounted /dev/hdb5 (/) and tried to
> copy fstab to the backup drive.  It said it was the same file.
> I'm thinking, duh, but you usually ask me if I want to
> overwrite.  Oh, well, maybe it'll work.  I turn the machine off
> and reset the jumpers to boot from the backup drive.  Boot up,
> and we're back to the label thing.
>
> Well, it's too late on Friday evening to stay at the office any
> longer, so this story will be continued on Monday, when I try to
> discern how fstab on hdb can be linked to fstab on hda, never
> figure it out, and have to boot with only the backup drive so I
> can change /etc/fstab on it.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the help, guys.  It's coming along.   -Glenn.

Interesting thread.  I was just looking at using partimage to do exactly
the same thing.  I want to backup/restore partitions from one drive to a
second drive.  I want to do the same thing as Window's PowerQuest
DriveImage program.  According to the doc's partimage claims it can do it.
It can also backup/restore across a network.

In fact, not only does it claim that it works but you can chose three
different forms of compression (or none).  It also supports fat16/32 plus
other file systems and can handle the MBR.  They strongly suggest that you
keep a copy of the partition sizes since you must create them from scratch
manually if you lose an entire drive before doing a restore.

I stuck a second drive in a system of mine and am going to try it later
this weekend with partimage.

I'm wondering if the real problem here is the dd command.  Doesn't it
create an exact copy.  Then when the system boots there are duplicate
partitions found which is confusing the hell out of the kernel.  When I
used DriveImage to duplicate a drive and then tried to reboot leaving both
drives in the system I got the same duplicate error message.  When I ran
the rescue disk it found a valid partition on each drive and wanted to
know which one I wanted to use.  I could chose either to start my system.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer