Upgrading the kernel?

I've been running my RH8 box for several months now, and have been
pretty happy with it.  Unfortunately, whenever I try to sync my Palm
Pilot Tungsten T with my computer, my computer freezes up completely,
and I have to reboot it.  I have to sync with my WinXP laptop, which is
annoying.

I think that the problem lies within the kernel that I am using
(2.4.20); I think that if I upgrade to 2.4.21, I will probably be okay.
Unfortunately, that kernel, which is out of beta, is not offered on Red
Hat's up2date channel.

How do I upgrade the kernel manually?  I've never done it that way; I've
always just done it through up2date.  Where can I find information on
how to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance!

--
Slainte,