Sound Problem With AC97 Integrated Chip Set

I have RedHat 9.0 installed on a Microtel box from Walmart. Sound is the only problem. I play CD's and have KDE event sounds working OK. But I can't get the sound portion of flash to work. The MB has the VT82c686 AC97 "soft" chip sets.

Initially, I got sound from the flash, but it was extremely choppy. I enabled the debug messages in artsd and got messages that it couldn't initate the sound in real-time because it needed artsd (a.k.a. artswrapper) to be run as root or suid. I changed artswrapper to run suid, and that complaint went away. In the mean time, upgraded all the alsa rpms to make sure it wasn't a bug that had been fixed. At this point, I've lost all the sound with flash, but the events and CDplayer sound work OK.

Another thing I found were some log messages that occured when I started mozilla (v1.5) and brought up a flash page. The messages seemed to indicate that when I started the flash plugin, the system wanted to load drivers for sound-slot-1 and sound-service-1-0. I have seen such messages on other system where the flash sound worked OK.

I've googled for some clues on this and nothing has worked. Has anyone gotten flash sound to work on this hardware with redhat9.0/mozilla? Should I be using some other sound service other than artsd, and if so, what? I really need to get the flash sound working because the box is for my daughter and I'd like her to be able to play web-based flash games.

TIA

Fred