Re: Restarting pop3 server

j.travis wrote:

Is there any way to start the POP server?  I was hoping for something like
"service ipop3d restart" or maybe even "service imapd restart" since it is
part of the imap package but I can't find anything like that.  I guess I am
a little confused also because I thought that the 'ntsysv' GUI listed actual
service names but in reality it lists ipop3d as a service when it doesn't
actually appear in /etc/rc.d/init.d .

The reason I ask is that I am running into a situation where a virus checker
seems to be preventing outlook express from downloading messages but doing
so very ungracefully (hanging at partial download with no explanation).  So
I am having to remove the mail spool file manually to fix it. I would like
to see what restarting the POP server does (although I doubt it will solve
my problem... any ideal welcome).

ipop3 runs under a set of services called xinetd.

It handles a slew of daemons automatically including telnet, imap etc. It is responsible for starting them on demand when they are required.

If, after this hang, you find ipop3d still running on your system (I doubt it), you could try restarting it by using 'service xinetd restart'.

try reading the xinetd man page for more info.

Regards,
Ed.