Restarting pop3 server

Is there any way to start the POP server?  I was hoping for something like
"service ipop3d restart" or maybe even "service imapd restart" since it is
part of the imap package but I can't find anything like that.  I guess I am
a little confused also because I thought that the 'ntsysv' GUI listed actual
service names but in reality it lists ipop3d as a service when it doesn't
actually appear in /etc/rc.d/init.d .

The reason I ask is that I am running into a situation where a virus checker
seems to be preventing outlook express from downloading messages but doing
so very ungracefully (hanging at partial download with no explanation).  So
I am having to remove the mail spool file manually to fix it. I would like
to see what restarting the POP server does (although I doubt it will solve
my problem... any ideal welcome).