From: Paul Warner [mailto:paulwwarner@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 11:08 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: memory leak on redhat 9?

Hello,

I am part of a team at work with 3 Redhat 9 machines.
We are seeing strange memory issues with all 3
machines.  We started with the original (no upgrades)
install, and with that we could see a steady increment
of memory in top with each refresh, without adding any
applications.  I suspected our X server or client, so
I tested it without running X, and with no user apps
started, and I could see an 8 kb increment in memory
usage every time top refreshed (5 sec.).  This is the
same pattern we'd seen with X running.

Our memory problems started as soon as we installed
Redhat 9 on the first 2 machines a few months ago.
They had 256 mb of RAM, and when we ran mysql and 2
instances of apache, along with X and Gnome - we
actually brought the machine down when mysql had a
difficult query.  I turned X off on that machine and
got a memory upgrade to 512 mb, and after a number of
days running, it ran typically with 500-506 mb of ram
used, and 83 mb in swap!

On the other machine (my development machine), with X
and Gnome and apache and mysql running, the machine
always started to run vvvvery slowly.

So I asked for memory and got it - to 512 mb of RAM -
and we haven't seen any crashes or slowdowns on either
of these machines.  However, within 2 hours of
starting, running X and FVWM, 3 rxvt terminals and the
Opera browser (no apache, no mysql, nothing else,
trying to save memory), I am using 506 mb of RAM.  Is
this normal?

We checked and the third RH 9 machine also has the
mysterious 8 kb increment / 5 seconds pattern.

We thought it might be something that was fixed by RH,
but I have run up2date with both of these machines,
and they are today running maxed out as described, 2-3
hours after a reboot.

Anybody have a line on this?

Thanks,
Paul

NNC's UK Operating Companies : NNC Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856).  The registered office of each company is at Booths Hall, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at 6 Union Row, Aberdeen AB10 1DQ.  NNC's head office and principal address is Booths Hall and the switchboard number is 01565 633800.  The NNC website is www.nnc.co.uk

This email and any files transmitted with it have been sent to you by the relevant UK operating company and are confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the NNC system manager by e-mail at eadm@xxxxxxxxxx