memory leak on redhat 9?

Hello,

I am part of a team at work with 3 Redhat 9 machines.
We are seeing strange memory issues with all 3
machines.  We started with the original (no upgrades)
install, and with that we could see a steady increment
of memory in top with each refresh, without adding any
applications.  I suspected our X server or client, so
I tested it without running X, and with no user apps
started, and I could see an 8 kb increment in memory
usage every time top refreshed (5 sec.).  This is the
same pattern we'd seen with X running.

Our memory problems started as soon as we installed
Redhat 9 on the first 2 machines a few months ago.
They had 256 mb of RAM, and when we ran mysql and 2
instances of apache, along with X and Gnome - we
actually brought the machine down when mysql had a
difficult query.  I turned X off on that machine and
got a memory upgrade to 512 mb, and after a number of
days running, it ran typically with 500-506 mb of ram
used, and 83 mb in swap!

On the other machine (my development machine), with X
and Gnome and apache and mysql running, the machine
always started to run vvvvery slowly.

So I asked for memory and got it - to 512 mb of RAM -
and we haven't seen any crashes or slowdowns on either
of these machines.  However, within 2 hours of
starting, running X and FVWM, 3 rxvt terminals and the
Opera browser (no apache, no mysql, nothing else,
trying to save memory), I am using 506 mb of RAM.  Is
this normal?

We checked and the third RH 9 machine also has the
mysterious 8 kb increment / 5 seconds pattern.

We thought it might be something that was fixed by RH,
but I have run up2date with both of these machines,
and they are today running maxed out as described, 2-3
hours after a reboot.

Anybody have a line on this?

Thanks,
Paul