Re: Limiting frequency of POP logins

On November 19, 2003 12:50 pm, Jason Dixon wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 14:47, j.travis wrote:
> > I have a user who has apparently set their e-mail client to check e-mail
> > from the POP server (running sendmail) once a minute.  I am wondering if
> > I can place a limit on the frequency of logins somehow?
>
> Even if you could (which I don't think you can), think of the social
> aspect of what you're proposing.  Assuming you wanted to block them to,
> say, every 10 minutes instead.  Well, your customer is going to get a
> connection error every 9 out of 10 connection attempts, causing them to
> call your help desk.  Are you going to tell them they can't connect
> every minute?  Is that spelled out in your TOS?

Hi, just my 2 cents...
I agree with Jason. I was on the client end of the exact thing. Our parent
company helpdesk sent me an email saying that I was poping once  minute and
it was too much so I should set my client to every 10 minutes. They claimed i
was using too much resources on the (old Mac FirstClass email) server. This
request actually started a bit of a ripple thru our IT, and relations between
the 2 entities suffered. By the way, I did need to check my mail that often
as I was dealing with very timely issues. Anyway, as the thread ends up going
to, excessive log entries are best dealt with in the logging facility, not at
the user end.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce