Re: Limiting frequency of POP logins

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:05:50PM -0800, Pete Nesbitt wrote:
> On November 19, 2003 12:50 pm, Jason Dixon wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 14:47, j.travis wrote:
> > > I have a user who has apparently set their e-mail client to check e-mail
> > > from the POP server (running sendmail) once a minute.  I am wondering if
> > > I can place a limit on the frequency of logins somehow?
> >
> I agree with Jason. I was on the client end of the exact thing. Our parent
> company helpdesk sent me an email saying that I was poping once  minute and
> it was too much so I should set my client to every 10 minutes. They claimed i
> was using too much resources on the (old Mac FirstClass email) server. This
> request actually started a bit of a ripple thru our IT, and relations between
> the 2 entities suffered. By the way, I did need to check my mail that often
> as I was dealing with very timely issues. Anyway, as the thread ends up going
> to, excessive log entries are best dealt with in the logging facility, not at
> the user end.

So how can we just turn ipop logging off?  It uses the mail syslog
facility and I don't want to turn all of the mail logging off, just the
ipop connections.  There are currently 3 entries per connection - the
pop3 service connection, the user login, and the user logout.  Since my
own pop connections are totally within my firewall and restricted to my
wife's machine, I don't really need to see them.  I've experimented with
the xinetd logging without luck, and short of patching the pop server to
not log at all or to a different facility I'm not sure where else too
look.

Thanks,
        .../Ed
--